Výstaviště 405/1 (Pisárky) Brno Střed
GPS: 49°11'11.826"N, 16°34'40.517"E
Bauer's Chateau, which is the oldest building in Brno Exhibition Centre, was built at the beginning of the 19th century in the grounds of the Old Brno sugar refinery owned by entrepreneur Mořic Bauer. The family's business, which also involved the sugar refinery in Hrušovany u Brna, was managed by his grandson Viktor Ritter von Bauer from 1911. While he was in charge of the business, he was forced to sell the property in Brno Pisárky for the purpose of building the exhibition ground.
This two-level chateau on a rectangular ground plan is situated in the south-west part of the exhibition centre and its Classicist facade faces the original tree-lined avenue from Hlinky street. The traveller, lawyer and keen anthropologist Viktor Bauer mingled with Vienna modernists and also met architect Adolf Loos. He contacted the architect in 1925 asking him to design the interior of the dining room on the ground floor of his Brno residence; this is the architect's only work in his native town. The preserved parts of the original interior feature dark green marble panelling with embedded mirrors and a stucco frieze border depicting figures below the ceiling. At that time, Loos's concept for the interior reveals a certain purism and plainness, yet the influence of Classicism as well as the funereal motifs of the Empire style with a wide range of luxury materials are inseparable aspects.
After the sale of the land in Pisárky in the early 1920s, the Bauer family kept the chateau building as well as the adjoining plots of the former sugar refinery; however, they found living next to the exhibition centre and lively amusement park troublesome. After the war the chateau and property became part of the entire complex of the exhibition centre, which enabled its expansion and the building of the new exhibition halls required by the upswing of engineering fairs from the mid-1950s.