Svitavské nábřeží | Svitavská | Nováčkova 872-875|877|915-1349/49-57|2|2-10 (Husovice) Brno Sever
Public transport: Vozovna Husovice (TRAM 4)
Vozovna Husovice (BUS 57)
GPS: 49°12'28.883"N, 16°37'48.361"E
The new buildings with small apartments in Husovice designed in 1926 by Bohuslav Fuchs, head of the city's Building Authority, were a response to the housing crisis in the 1920s. Like the buildings designed by Josef Polášek in Vranovská Street, these also employed the minimalist aesthetic of functionalism enabling cost-effective, standardised and affordable development.
This project involved two nearby residential complexes on L-shaped ground plans bordering the trolleybus depot (tram depot originally) by Jindřich Kumpošt, which was built in the inner yard in 1928. The facades of these four- and five-storey houses on Svitavské nábřeží and Nováčkova Street are divided by large grid windows and the individual apartment sections are accessible through recessed entrances. The entrances are situated underneath the iron structures of shared loggias – the only prominent constructivist element on the facade. Each floor of the apartment sections houses four two-room apartments with identical layouts.