Josef Štěpánek, architect and sculptor, was born in Mořice na Hané on 8 September 1889. In 1912 he began his architecture studies in Josip Plečnik's studio at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague, but moved to Jan Kotěra's studio at the Academy of Fine Arts in 1916. In 1921 he set up a studio with Bohuslav Fuchs (power station complex and villa in Háj u Mohelnice). In 1922 their project for changes to Malá Strana was awarded the gold medal; he and Antonín Moudrý then cooperated on their award winning design for the industrial secondary school in Mladá Boleslav (however, the project was later assigned to Jiří Kroha). From 1924 on Josef Štěpánek worked as an editor for the journal Stavitel (Builder) and chaired its editorial board in 1926-28. He designed houses at No. 9 Ke Klimentce Street and No. 66 Moskevská Street in Prague; he contributed the design for a semi-detached home to the New House estate in 1928. In 1928 he won the urban development competition for parliamentary and ministerial buildings at Letná in Prague in 1928; his design also took top prize in the competition for a sports stadium in Braník in Prague a year later. Nevertheless, these designs were never built. Josef Štěpánek died on 4 April 1964.
Date of birth
Rostislav Švácha , Výtvarná kultura, 1984, p. 64