Masaryk University Rector's Office

C134

Masaryk University in Brno was established soon after the formation of Czechoslovakia in 1919. In spite of the difficult times of the post-war development crisis, it was necessary to provide for the operation of individual faculties and find adequate facilities for them. Owing to financial reasons, building new facilities was out of the question; adjustments of existing military quarters and social institutions appeared to be the simplest solution. In this context, the idea to expand the grounds of the former municipal orphanage in present-day Arne Nováka street to suit the needs of the Faculty of Arts and the University Rector's Office was formulated.

Josef Matzenauer, a representative of the building authority, collaborated in designing the work with Miloš Laml, who was charged with the management of the office for the development of Masaryk University facilities. The main entrance of the new building of the Rector's Office looked out on Grohova Street and its monumental mass as well as segmentation by cornices refer to the classicist tradition. The building became a symbol of the lofty democratic principles of state institutions in the young country and its strict formal purposefulness cleared the way for modern purist architecture.

Name
Masaryk University Rector's Office

Date
1921

Architect
Miloš Laml

Trail
Below Špilberk

Code
C134

Type
School, boarding school

Address
Grohova 63/7, (Veveří), Brno, Střed

Public transport
Grohova (TRAM 3, 4,9,11, 12)
Obilní trh (TRAM 4)
Smetanova (TROL 32, 34, 36)
Úvoz (BUS 25, 26, 38, 39, 81)


GPS
49°12'3.113"N, 16°35'52.416"E

Literature
Rostislav Koryčánek, Česká architektura v německém Brně. Město jako ideální krajina nacionalismu, Brno 2003